Vitamix DIY and Green Juice Recipe – by Marilena

After years of trying to convince my husband of the real need of having a $500 blender, and after I accidently fried our old one trying to make homemade vegan Nutella, it was time to finally get a Vitamix. If you don’t know what it is, google it, it will blow up your mind!  It’s like this super powerful blender that will basically powder rocks (I kid you not, they actually had a demo at Costco that they did it…).

After a long shopping process to get the perfect one – long story for another post – I realized that my beautiful, state of art, un-returnable new toy was, in fact white. Blaaarh… it totally clashed with my whole kitchen and all its other stainless steel countertop friends (ie Kitchen Aid mixer, George Forman grill.) 

DSC_0658

For a minute (well, for a day) I considered redoing my whole kitchen, as in new white shiny cabinets, quartz counters and subway tile backsplash.  Well, that’s not happening for the next little while, so I had to make do with what I had. But I still wondered what I could do to blend my new device in (pun intended).

So I thought of spray paint!  I’ve had a successful experience with metal spray paint before, and Carissa totally enabled me, as she usually does. I rolled up my sleeves and went for it.

DSC_0663 DSC_0665

I was totally concerned that it would turn out ogre looking, so going slowly was key.

after 

And, voila, it looks like it always belonged here doesn’t it?

I admit that the faceplate shouldn’t be white, but that part is where you touch all the time to turn the knobs and I was afraid it wasn’t going to wear very well. I’m totally happy with how it turned out.

I’m not going to write a step by step guide here because it was pretty simple. I’ll just give you a few tips if you’re into refinishing your kitchen stuff (I’ve seen hardware, glassware, pottery and even big appliances like fridges turn out well):

1) cover control panels and logos with painter’s tape, or remove them if it’s easy;

2) use several thin coats, like the first one is basically a dust, and allow time for the sheen to develop. The finish will brighten as it dries and the water evaporates, leaving behind the metal flakes and

3) Be patient and allow a day for it to set before handling your newly painted object – learned that one the hard way and to a fourth coat of spray I had to resort.

 

Ok, now that you have your matching Vitamix, here’s my go to green-smoothie recipe (kid approved):

2 handfuls of baby spinach (I freeze them washed and ready to go)

1-2 leaves of Kale 2 pineapple slices (I often use canned ones, give me a break)

½ apple with core

1-2 tbsp of honey

2 tbsp of flax

½ cup of water ½ cup of ice

Let the Vitamix gods do their thing and chug down the amezeness! What is your favourite juice recipe?

Posted by Marilena