“Wallpaper is Messy” - The Story of a Guest Room Re-Design (by Marilena)

If someone tells you wallpapering is messy (specially if that said someone is your, ahem very-okay-with-messiness-business partner) believe them. They are not saying this because they are lazy, or they are secretly jealous that you will be enjoying a beautiful newly surfaced wall. They tell you this because IT IS MESSY, and, as someone kindly posted on FB: a true test to your marriage.

I did it by myself, so my marriage is fine.

Let’s backtrack a few months… 

My sister and brother-in-law were visiting from Brazil, and I thought that would be a perfect excuse to “finish” the yet-to-be-finished guest bedroom. I won’t go in detail about how that room came to be, but to make a long story short, out of the disaster of a basement flood, I decided to add colour to my oh-so-beige house and painted the guest room room Tiffany blue. When I say Tiffany blue, that is exactly what I mean, like Tiffany & Co blue box (as in Benjamin Moore Caribe Green 2042-50). I had this whole idea that it would be this beautiful room that would keep some precious jewels… sigh…

clip_image002

Instead it was ‘meh’, unfinished, like so

IMG_2463

That’s when the idea of a wallpaper headboard came about. Well, the idea was actually to upholster a headboard, but I was too lazy to go look for fabric didn’t find any fabric I feel in love with, and I had this roll of wallpaper around. I went into full blown DIY mode, went to Rona - even the part with all the lumber and stuff – ha! Got myself these Styrofoam boards.  

Will wallpaper stick to it, you might ask? Don’t know, I guess we’ll see.

IMG_2427 IMG_2482

After being warned yet again that it would be messy, I tackled the project.

Guess what?  IT WAS MESSY!!!  Boy, I thought about crying a few time throughout. I don’t think it actually took very long after all, but man the process was painful.  The seams are THE.WORST.EVER.  Seriously people; don’t wallpaper by yourselves, have someone around you can yell at.

Well, after all the pain and misery, this is the finished product. I must say, I don’t hate it. It is a lot better than it was before.

IMG_2592

And it also made me want to hang some art up on the wall…

DSC_0699

With everything else done, I was completely unhappy with the itty bitty lamps I had in there.  I went on kiiji and found The. Most. Amazing. Lamps…

IMG_2594

DSC_0676

This room is so me now!

I may need to convince my husband to move into the basement with me… or not (hahaha!)

>>> Posted by Marilena <<<