Library Re-Vamp

This is how my library / piano room looked by the end of the holiday season (messy, cluttered, ... ick):

Here's how it looks now!


Here's what I did:
  • Moved the shelves from the south wall to the east wall flanking each side of the piano.  The impact was HUGE!  When I had the shelves on the south wall, they blocked the doorway to the dining room, which cut off basically all of the natural light.  I was shocked at how bright and warm this room became when I opened it up again!  Plus I love seeing the glimpse of the dining room wallpaper.
  • Painted the backs of the shelves a warm grey (Benjamin Moore Chelsea Grey HC-168) ... I had some left from when I painted my family room!  I love how everything pops against the neutral grey backdrop.  (Don't know the wall color because it's been there since I moved in.)
  • Removed approximately half of the books and accessories from the shelves.
  • Kept the colors of the accessories to a minimum.  Mainly used white, and threw in some orangey-red because I was craving warmth.
  • Used a lot of symmetry on the shelves... I find symmetrical arrangements calming.
Some organizing tips:
  • Keep magazines in these inexpensive white boxes to cut down of visual clutter:

  • Same goes for kids coloring books, sticker books, etc:
  •  Crayons and markers are hidden in the white cardboard boxes:

  • Random crap special stuff that boys collect is hidden in large plastic bins 

I'm pretty thrilled with how this room turned out.  Especially considering that I didn't buy anything new, just shuffled things around and used storage items and paint that I already had.  Yay for me!

I had to work like a crazy woman all day on Friday so that I would be done on time to join in the Great Clean Out party over at Anne-Marie's blog, 10 Rooms!  You can head over 10 Rooms today to check out the other fabulous organizing projects...