Progress Report: Cabinet Frames and Insides

Well, the kitchen is looking a lot brighter and whiter than it was on Friday!  Cleaning out my cabinets was probably the best/worst part of the process so far.  Best because I was able to de-clutter and donate a whole bunch of stuff that I no longer use.  Worst because, duh, cleaning sucks. 

You know how sometimes you start a job, then it snowballs, and ends up being a much bigger job than you anticipated?  That happened.  Once I had everything out of my cabinets, I realized how truly icky the insides were.  Not only were they kind of dirty, but also they were that sad almond color that goes hand in hand with the infamous ‘oak package’ of the 1980’s.  I really couldn’t imagine having clean white cabinet doors, and sad dingy cabinet insides, so I had to prime and paint the insides as well.  Blurg.  What a pain.  Each shelf was like painting a tiny little room including the ceiling.  But worth the effort.

Before:

After:

    

I also ended up sticking some faux-stainless steel contact paper on the shelf bases.  I was worried that the paint would end up scratching with wear and tear, plus, the stainless paper is slippery and easy to clean. 

The next logical step is prepping and priming the doors.  But I might take a detour and do the tiling next.  I think that tiling is more realistic this week.  I have FOUR boys in the house this week (two of mine + two of my sister’s.)  Or am I crazy to think I can get anything accomplished with four boys around?