Progress Report: Kitchen Tile

I’m happy to report that my kitchen is getting brighter every day!  Over the weekend, I installed most of the white subway tile.  It was going so well, looking so fabulous… (ignore the gaps… they require tricky cuts, so I’m avoiding them.)

Until yesterday when I came to a screeching halt.  I stood back and looked at it in the bright sunlight, and realized that the tiles that I’ve chosen might be TOO white.

I love the Moonlight White paint color that I used on my walls and cabinets (Benjamin Moore OC-125).  My color guru Anne-Marie described it as “a warm white that embraces.”  The tiles are definitely a cool white.  Blurg. 

I decided to take a day off and decide if it’s really a huge problem, or if I’m over reacting. 

Here are my thoughts.  I’m ok with a different shades of white in the room.  Plus, the tiles aren’t grouted yet, which will change the look again, and the big section of tile will have open shelving in front of it.  It’s also hard to visualize the final look without the cabinet doors.  Maybe I should just finish it as is, and hope that it turns out ok. 

HOWEVER… if I decided that I absolutely can not tolerate it, I think I have three options:

1. Carefully remove the tiles one by one so I don’t destroy the plasterboard that we just installed, order new tiles that are the perfect warm shade of white, and start over.  (I ran this option by Jeff… hahaha… it’s NOT going to happen.)

2. Prime, paint, and poly the tiles before I grout.  This option would give me the perfect color, and from the research I did, I think the paint would be durable enough in this application.  (BUT, kind of an extreme option.  And so like me to have to paint something because I don’t quite like it the way it is.)

3. Keep the bright white tiles and re-paint the cabinets a cooler white like Decorator’s White (CC-20) or Ultra White (CC-10).  (This option would be the least amount of work since I haven’t painted my cabinet doors yet.  But I love my Moonlight White, so I’m reluctant to give it up.)

Omg… I hope that I like it once it’s all done!  Reading the above options makes me cringe.

Sigh.  What to do.  Input welcome…