Family Room Inspiration: Mad Men

I have been obsessing over family room inspiration this week.   I have to figure out how I'm going to finish off that room.

Wouldn't you know, last night I watched the Mad Men episode where Betty hires an interior decorator to re-do her living room.  Perfect timing!  (OK... I realize I am way behind on Mad Men.  I only started watching it this winter when I signed up for Netflix.  But I LOVE IT!  I totally obsess over it:  the fashion, the decor, the styling.  Obvious.)  I was super pumped about Don & Betty's living room transformation:



Of course I love what they did:

  • The clean boxy lines of the orange sofa
  • Those two AMAZING chairs with the geometric pattern (that almost looks like a cane pattern but not quite)
  • The warm gold tone of the glass coffee table.
  • That cute table lamp
  • The brass pieces on the mantel (too bad they're birds... (too scary)) 
  • The rich blue/grey wall color (similar to what I already have in my family room... maybe I should keep it?)
  • The display shelf with the back painted orange
  • Those FABULOUS cream drapes with the orange trim and the curvy pelmet boxes... 
In my books, this room was pretty close to perfection.  (Maybe a tiny bit too matchy with all of the orange details?  But still FABULOUS inspiration!)

BUT THEN.... Betty goes and RUINS it with this monstrosity:

Seriously, sometimes I just can't stand that woman.  She's so frustrating.