Quick Fix: Painted Lamp Shades

I’m in a phase of trying to ‘work with what I’ve got’ in my home.  Sometimes that’s annoying, but this project was actually kind of fun.  Mainly because I like painting stuff.  Plus, it only took me about 20 minutes.  For realz. 
I started with these. 

They’re old IKEA lamps, and I really hope they will be replaced with something a lot cooler, but in the mean time I just wanted to downplay the fugliness of them.  So I painted them black.
The only trick you need to know about this project is to spritz the shade with water before and during the painting process.  I learned that trick from Kristy at Hyphen Interiors… she painted two upholstered chairs, and they turned out great!  It seems like using a lot of water is the trick to getting the paint to brush on smoothly.  I just spritzed like crazy and brushed on the black paint.

After one coat it looked like this… so I went around again.

After two rounds… voila!  Much better.

Have a great weekend!