PROJECT UPDATE: PAINTED FLOOR MAT

Remember when I painted the interlocking foam mats last summer to use as a temporary area rug???  (See this post for a reminder)

Well… somehow, the project totally took off on Pinterest.  It’s been pinned and re-pinned like crazy.  Which would be great… except that the floor mats now look like this:

Blurg!!!  They have cracked like crazy!!!  This is from ‘normal’ wear and tear by the two boys. 

A few people have asked how the paint held up.  Um… not so great! 

Unfortunately, painting my foam mats wasn’t really worth the time and effort that I put into it.  My recommendation:  don’t bother trying this one!  I feel like I should email everyone that pinned this project just to warn them!  Eeeek.  Hopefully people are lazy busy like me, and rarely start the projects that they pin!

If you want to customize some kind of floor covering, I would recommend painting a regular rug, like I did with my chevron rug.  It is still looking fabulous almost two years later!

The chevron rug took less time than the foam mats, and the end product is far superior!  Here’s the original chevron rug post, if you want the full diy details.