New at Casa Carissa: Living Room Drapes

OK… this story starts with all of the Missoni for Target hype, which I totally did not get caught up in because Target doesn’t ship to Canada.  At first, I was super annoyed when people started selling things on ebay.  But then, the light bulb went on, and I realized that this was one way that I could get my hands on something from the line. 
I knew exactly what I wanted (the famiglia duvet set):

A normal person would get a new duvet set and use it for, I don’t know, bedding?  Not me.  As soon as I saw it I knew it would make perfect curtains for my living room…


I’m not going to do a full tutorial, but here are the basics of how I did it:
- remove the back of the duvet from the front
- cut the front in half to make two panels
- use the fabric from the back to edge out both sides of each panel and add length to the bottoms
- I like to use pleat tape with pins and rings for hanging.  I think it looks more custom than the clips, and if you are already sewing, it’s not much harder.  Sarah has a great tutorial at Prairie Perch.

- IMPORTANT: if you use pleat tape with zigzag fabric, you have to make sure the spaces for the pins are lined up with the points of the zigzags, or it will look wonky, and you’ll lose the zigzag effect.  However, when you line it up properly with each point, the tape will bubble up and not lay flat between the points.  Just fold the excess and sew it down.  (Hope that makes sense).

Anyways, I’m loving how the new curtains really add some impact to that side of the room.  Now I just need some new pillows for the couch!