Things I Love About My New Living Room

First of all, thanks for all of the kind comments on my vlog post last week!  My friends and I have had a lot of laughs about how oddly deep my voice sounds on the video.  Oh well!  As promised, here are a few more photos.

The #1 improvement to the room is definitely the fireplace wall. 

I wanted to keep the look classic and traditional.  But I also wanted some ‘wow’, that’s where the idea for the black fireplace surround came in.  I love it!  We needed to fix the draughty fireplace anyways, so we replaced it with a much nicer model that keeps our living room and kitchen warm and cozy through the cold winter months.   

The photo above the fireplace is of my two boys and was taken by my friend Cynthia.

My favourite part of the living room has to be the new cabinets.  Look at all of the toy storage space we have now!!! 

The fabulous painting above is by Samantha Sano… you can see more of her work at The Summer Project.

And I love that we can close the doors on the television.

I’m pretty proud of the fact that almost everything in this room was either built by my Dad, made (or made-over) by me, or thrifted.

I sewed the curtains, slipcovered the two sofas, sewed a new cover for the papasan chair, and painted the lamp shades:

I found both of the brass side tables on kijiji, the brass reading lamp used to be my Grandma’s, and the wooden piece above the sofa was from Pier 1 (about 5 years ago):

This room truly is a LIVING room.  Or we could call it a FAMILY room.  Because my family really does live in this room.  This is where we all hang out almost all of the time.  We finally have one room that is ‘decorated’ enough for me, yet comfortable and cozy enough for the whole family… success!!!