Lessons in Tree Decorating

In the process of setting up our tree this year, I had that moment of internal struggle between being a good mom and being a good decorator... does anyone else ever feel like the two roles are mutually exclusive???

I usually choose a feature color for my holiday decorating.  I've always enjoyed a beautiful monochromatic scheme.  This year was going to be all about silver and gold.

That is, until the boys spotted the boxes of colorful ornaments!  Gak!  I discouraged it, but Jack (a determined kid who quietly does his own thing whether I agree or not) started adding the blue ornaments to the tree.  It was a slippery slope from there.  I couldn't really say no to green because it's Jack's favorite color.  Then Beckett insisted on red because it is my favorite color!  Before I knew it every last ornament was on the tree.  And mostly on the bottom half of the tree.

But guess what???  I LOVE IT!!!  I even had a couple of tears in my eyes!  (I'm a total sap.)  The boys are so proud of that tree... "best tree ever" was mentioned more than once.  I loved seeing the boys having so much fun and being so creative.  And all of the color mixed together is festive and cheerful and beautiful!

Lessons I learned from the experience:
  1. Sometimes more is more
  2. Monochromatic can be boring
  3. Beautiful does not mean perfect
I think I'm going to go out and find some purple ornaments to add because they are Beckett's favorite color... plus the top half of the tree is looking a little boring compared to the bottom half!